byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

20 August 2011

Juno (4) it slowly comes together

Well, it's been a while but hey, its vacation time.
In the spare time inbetween doing nothing and doing jobs around the house I found some time to work on Juno.
The solar panels finally are satisfactory enough to leave another try alone. I took a lot of time to get them where I am now but still they can be better. I just can't be bothered to redo them for a fourth time. Call me lazy, I don't care.
I worked hard to get all the thingamabobs, watchamecallits and doodads in place and looking the part. Everything is wrapped in MLI so I used a lot of chocolate wrapper to get all the thingies in silvery foil.
I still have to do the underside of two PVA wings with circuitry and as we speak I am doing the hinges on these two PVA's. The sides are reupholstered in silver foil and I made the three struts with brass rods and some solder I grinded down later to give it an all smoothed out look. After a coat of flat aluminium it looks swell. Even though this is resized to 50% it still is a big mother of a probe. 
Now with the finish in sight it is giving me back some more space for next projects and thos I already started and yet have to pick up again. There's some stuff I have to add to my 1/400 ISS model and I am already starting to look back to my Fakestok diorama I started. After that, there's plenty of possibilities but there might be another helicopter-involved diorama coming up.
later more on that, First some progress pictures of Juno.

Two PVA's left to finish. To give a sense of the size: see my huge hand.

With the HGA on top it sure starts to look like the real thing.

The thingamabobs, watchamecallits and doodads. There's more to come!
Oh yeah: before I forget: The detail kit will soon be available at Jon Leslie's site.

2 comments:

  1. Zeg, heten die thingamabobs, watchamecallits & doodads niet gewoon greebles?
    http://www.paulvanbuuren.nl/content/2009/04/19/greeble/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha die Paul! Tja, als het zelfverzonnen gedoetjes op de romp zouden zijn, ja, dan zou je verhaal wel kloppen. Maar het zijn allemaal daadwerkelijk bestaande delen van Juno. Zo accuraat mogelijk nagemaakt. Geen fantasie dus maar functioneel technische apparaturia. dus vandaar de namen Hoehetets, Dingesen en Datdaars.

    ReplyDelete

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.