byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

05 December 2012

MIR 1/400 [1]

Well, there we go. At Paper Modelers my modeling friend Zoltàn Mertusz and yours truly have started their group build thread on building Russian space station Mir.
It was launched in 1986 and eventually was de-orbited in 1999. By that time it was way past its proposed lifespan and the ISS already was starting to take shape, albeit very small and slow.
Mir started life as a single Salyut like module, with the significant new feature that it had a multi point docking node up front. During the years that followed, several extra modules docked to the base block and by doing so formed the first modular space station.
More on Mir here, here and here (big but very interesting PDF).  
Now for the model, Zoltàn is going for a 1/100 version while I am returning to my favourite scale, 1/400. Today, after some designing, which will occur yet another few times, I guess, I made a start with the building process myself.
Small sized stuff!

More after the jump.

The Mir base block is my starting point.
I have reinforced the insides by rolling up strips of paper around a brass tube, for making the alignment easier. 
Larger than life!



Thanks to my very hipster pair of reading spectacles I am able again to tackle this small scale. Nice.

There's not much else to say in this stage, so take a look at the pictures and watch this space for the follow-ups!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing work!
    I just discovered your site today, and I must say but one thing; "wow!" I like your choice of scale for your Mir model here. I have a variety of models, paper and otherwise, in larger scales, but these were originally meant to be used for teaching (and most are in dire need of repair from handling). For my personal enjoyment, I am starting to lean towards smaller models. I think I would like to give this model a try; 1/400 is pretty close to an old scale I used to make model sailing ships in (1/384 scale, or, using old English measurements, 1/32" = 1'). Inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your reaction, Robert. I really appreciate it!
    After a while working in these small scales, you get used to it. Apart from saving space on the shelves, it also always is a challenge to keep the model as detailed as possible. I think 1/400 is a really fun scale to build in. It also shows what paper is capable of. I will soon pick up where I left and finish the diorama.

    ReplyDelete

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.