byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

21 January 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 2

Well, lots to do here. As usual. Busy with getting our films shown elsewhere. Sometimes there's a little moment I can get some glue on a piece of paper. Last week I hardly did any work on the Ariane but I managed to do the pressure balls at the engine section of the first stage.
These are the second version, by the way. I first made them from styrofoam balls to keep it light. I wrapped aluminium tape around  but found the wrinkles of the result too coarse. So I took them off and replaced the bigger one for a marble, about the right size. The smaller one is a glass bead.
Up next is the fuel lines and further detailing. I still need to look for good photos of the booster attachments. They are a lot more complicated in structure than the models imply.
Ton Noteboom's model is a good starting point and David Brown's remake is, albeit simpler, more expanded in model updates and parts. Both have their shortcomings in detail, however. Or It's just me wanting to have my models more detailed.
Anyways.
Below you can see a photo of how the Ariane is looking at the moment. After the jump there are some more pictures of the business end.


The tank dome of the first stage. Made from metallic coloured card. It's a little hard to work with because it's quite thick. But the result is gorgeous. The seams are 'sealed' with thin strips of aluminium tape. After I did this I realised I cannot longer make the model a one-piece static rocket. It now had to be able to be taken apart into all the separate stages and whatnots. So that actually is an addition to what I originally intended to become an easy little job. Because what will be on top? I suspect it will be something that has been lurking in the back of my mind for some time now. I started it about a year ago and abandoned it not much later. Herschel and Planck. They probably will be on top of the Ariane.



The helium tanks on the bottom of the rocket. The encapsulating shroud for the bigger one was scratch built and fitted with a lot of trial and error. 


All right, that's it for now, see you next time. Hopefully there will be some more progress than this time. take care and be nice.
--PK

No comments:

Post a Comment

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.