byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

22 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt.8

So I finally had some time on my hands again to build some stuff.
Picking up where I left, I continued the build of the Ariane with SYLDA, the container structure that enables the launcher to take two items up into space. In the case of V188, (vol 188, the flight number of the Ariane) the payload was Planck and Herschel. Two smart space telescopes that were placed in  L2 to make observations of distant galaxies and the origins of the universe. About these intriguing L-numbers around Earth's orbit I will perhaps write another time.
SYLDA (SYstème de Lancement Double Ariane - Ariane Double Launch System) is just a cylindrical shape with a cone on which there is a second adapter ring to accommodate the second payload. The build I am doing is a combination of say, 80% scratch built stuff and 20% of the rocket model made by Ton Noteboom and the derivative redesigned by David Brown. SYLDA is part of the Brown model but it only has one height and it's the large 6m one while V188 had the 5 meter SYLDA. I measured the original kit version and concluded it was off scale. I took the original measurements and made one myself out of glossy black card. The additions were made by aluminium tape and some thread. The inside was reinforced with matte black card. It fits snugly into the 2nd stage.
The second stage itself also was quickly redone when I felt the need to change the insides of it. The only original piece left is the engine section.
Here's one picture, some more after the jump.


After some quick research I found the SYLDA was glossy on the outside. So reason enough to restart building. Since it was glossy card, I had to get my CA out to tightly glue the parts together.


The new SYLDA has a slightly larger diameter.  It also is 1 cm shorter. Jut big enough to fit Planck. The yellow bands were a nice addition to the original build but SYLDA just has metal strips around the transitions. The lower transition skirt has small explosive bolts in it so the straight part pops off while the wider skirt is left in the 2nd stage.


It has some wiring running over the outside of the hull, and even some small panels. In the lower part of the cylinder is a round opening which I guess is for last minute access to the satellite or probe inside.
 

The second stage with its new ACU adapter ring. It's poetically called  PAS 1666 MVS. it is just a metal ring. I placed a little magnet inside underneath the card circle in the middle of the ring. I will put another one in Planck so it will keep its position while still detachable. I want to do something similar to Herschel but it is a little more difficult because there is no direct way to place the magnet in the middle of the adapter ring on top of the SYLDA. It is open.


In the meantime i have started on Planck itself. This also will be a Frankenbuild, consisting of parts of John Jogerst's fine model of the telescope and also parts of a model I found at plancktelescope.org.uk. I think that model is a little more simplified so parts of it might be better suited for 1/96 in the end. But I tend to go for lots of details!


Until next time, thanks for passing by.
--PK


No comments:

Post a Comment

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.